- Remote sensing of Photosynthesis
- Chemometrics and multivariate statistics
- Physiology of photosynthetic microorganisms
- Carbon Concentrating Mechanism of marine and fresh water phytoplankton
Modern agriculture faces an ultimatum – to feed the ever growing world population which is predicted to bypass the nine billion planet inhabitant mark by the year of 2050. Crops perform photosynthesis and provide us not only with food but also with fibers and fuel, rendering photosynthesis as the single most important mechanism that is beneficial to understand and explore. The research led by the group is of an applicative nature, where fundamental knowledge regarding photosynthesis and its effect on plant physiology is sought for, and where smart and innovative technologies are developed based on that knowledge.
Main research topics:
Chlorophyll fluorescence, Gas exchange, Remote sensing, Precision agriculture, Data science
2004-2008 B.Sc., (Cum Laude), Department of Biology, Technion- Israeli Institute of Technology Haifa, Israel.
2008-2013 Ph.D., (direct track), Leon Charney School for Marine Sciences.
University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel. Dissertation: "Dynamics of the CO2 transporters within the Carbon Concentrating Mechanism of Cyanobacteria sp. PCC6803 with respect to light and pH stress".
Supervisor: Prof. Dan Tchernov.
2013-2016 Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Molecular Biology & Ecology
of Plants, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.
2016-2018 Postdoctoral Fellow at MIGAL Galilee Research Institute, Israel.
Invited talks and Posters in conferences
1.”Implementation of sun induced fluorescence into smart decision support systems”. Talk at the Environmental and Ecological Plant Physiology session at the international conference of the American Society of Plant Biologists, San-Jose, USA, 2019.
2. “Development of tools for optimal nutrient and irrigation management based on remote sensing of chlorophyll fluorescence”. Poster at the international conference of the American Society of Plant Biologists, San-Jose, USA, 2019.
3. “Development of tools for optimal nutrient management based on remote sensing of chlorophyll a fluorescence in Z. mays”. Poster at the international conference: 1st European conference in Photosynthesis, Uppsala, Sweden, 2017.
4. “A rapid screening method for testing modifications to correctly assembled photosystem I’s reducing end by reconstitution with recombinant expressed protein subunits”. Short talk in national conference in Tel-Aviv: The 4th conference of the Israeli society for biotechnology, Tel-Aviv, 2017.
Journal of Bioresources and Bioprocessing. Reviewer, 2018- present.
Journal of Remote Sensing. Reviewer, 2018- present.
Journal of Plant Science. Reviewer, 2019- present.
EU COST Action – CA18113 – Understanding and exploiting the impacts of low pH on micro-organisms. Official Member on behalf of the Israeli ministry of Science, Space and Technology.
EU COST Action - CA16106 - Ammonia and Greenhouse Gases Emissions from Animal Production Buildings. Official Substitute Member on behalf of the Israeli ministry of Science, Space and Technology.
1. Two hundred thousand dollars, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development fund per 3 year, 2020 (PI).
2. Three hundred thousand dollars, BARD US-Israel Agricultural Research and Development fund per 3 years, 2020 (Co-I).
3. Five hundred thousand dollars, Russell-Berrie grant per 2 years, 2018 (PI).